'Under the Sun' in the Bible
What profit hath a man of all his labour which he taketh under the sun?
The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.
I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and, behold, all is vanity and vexation of spirit.
So I thought in my heart, to withdraw my flesh from wine, to apply my mind unto wisdom, and to comprehend foolishness until the time that among all the things which are under the Sun, I might see what were best for men to do, so long as they live under heaven.
Then I looked on all the works that my hands had wrought, and on the labour that I had laboured to do: and, behold, all was vanity and vexation of spirit, and there was no profit under the sun.
Therefore I hated life; because the work that is wrought under the sun is grievous unto me: for all is vanity and vexation of spirit.
Yea, I hated all my labour which I had taken under the sun: because I should leave it unto the man that shall be after me.
And who knoweth whether he shall be a wise man or a fool? yet shall he have rule over all my labour wherein I have laboured, and wherein I have shewed myself wise under the sun. This is also vanity.
Therefore I went about to cause my heart to despair of all the labour which I took under the sun.
For what hath man of all his labour, and of the vexation of his heart, wherein he hath laboured under the sun?
For everything there is a fixed time, and a time for every business under the sun.
He has made everything beautiful in its time. He also has planted eternity in men's hearts and minds [a divinely implanted sense of a purpose working through the ages which nothing under the sun but God alone can satisfy], yet so that men cannot find out what God has done from the beginning to the end.
And moreover I saw under the sun the place of judgment, that wickedness was there; and the place of righteousness, that iniquity was there.
I said in my heart regarding the subject of the sons of men, God is trying (separating and sifting) them, that they may see that by themselves [under the sun, without God] they are but like beasts.
So I returned, and considered all the oppressions that are done under the sun: and behold the tears of such as were oppressed, and they had no comforter; and on the side of their oppressors there was power; but they had no comforter.
Yea, better is he than both they, which hath not yet been, who hath not seen the evil work that is done under the sun.
Then I returned, and I saw vanity under the sun.
I considered all the living which walk under the sun, with the second child that shall stand up in his stead.
There is a sore evil which I have seen under the sun, namely, riches kept for the owners thereof to their hurt.
Behold that which I have seen: it is good and comely for one to eat and to drink, and to enjoy the good of all his labour that he taketh under the sun all the days of his life, which God giveth him: for it is his portion.
There is an evil which I have seen under the sun, and it is common among men:
For who knoweth what is good for man in this life, all the days of his vain life which he spendeth as a shadow? for who can tell a man what shall be after him under the sun?
All this have I seen, and applied my heart unto every work that is done under the sun: there is a time wherein one man ruleth over another to his own hurt.
Then I commended mirth, because a man hath no better thing under the sun, than to eat, and to drink, and to be merry: for that shall abide with him of his labour the days of his life, which God giveth him under the sun.
Then I beheld all the work of God, that a man cannot find out the work that is done under the sun: because though a man labour to seek it out, yet he shall not find it; yea further; though a wise man think to know it, yet shall he not be able to find it.
This is an evil among all things that are done under the sun, that there is one event unto all: yea, also the heart of the sons of men is full of evil, and madness is in their heart while they live, and after that they go to the dead.
Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun.
Live joyfully with the wife whom thou lovest all the days of the life of thy vanity, which he hath given thee under the sun, all the days of thy vanity: for that is thy portion in this life, and in thy labour which thou takest under the sun.
I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.
This wisdom have I seen also under the sun, and it seemed great unto me:
There is an evil which I have seen under the sun, as an error which proceedeth from the ruler:
All has been heard; the end of the matter is: Fear God [revere and worship Him, knowing that He is] and keep His commandments, for this is the whole of man [the full, original purpose of his creation, the object of God's providence, the root of character, the foundation of all happiness, the adjustment to all inharmonious circumstances and conditions under the sun] and the whole [duty] for every man.
Search Results by Versions
Search Results by Book
- All Things Under His Feet (6 instances in 27 translations)
- Born Under the Law (1 instance in 18 translations)
- Bright As The Sun (4 instances in 6 translations)
- Clear as the Sun (1 instance in 14 translations)
- Everything Under His Feet (5 instances in 6 translations)
- From the Rising of the Sun to Its Setting (4 instances in 6 translations)
- God is a Sun and Shield (1 instance in 9 translations)
- Kept Under Guard (6 instances in 16 translations)
- Made Under The Law (4 instances in 7 translations)
- No Profit Under the Sun (1 instance in 16 translations)
- Nothing To Be Gained Under The Sun (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Sun of Righteousness (2 instances in 19 translations)
- Sun Shall Be Darkened (3 instances in 15 translations)
- Sun Stood Still (1 instance in 16 translations)
- Sun Was Darkened (4 instances in 20 translations)
- Sun Will Be Darkened (4 instances in 19 translations)
- Taken Under The Sun (2 instances in 4 translations)
- Time For Every Matter Under Heaven (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Time for Every Purpose Under Heaven (1 instance in 3 translations)
- Toiled Under the Sun (3 instances in 4 translations)
- Trampled Under Foot (7 instances in 12 translations)
- Under Every Green Tree (10 instances in 22 translations)
- Under Gamaliel (1 instance in 3 translations)
- Under Grace (2 instances in 32 translations)
- Under His Feet (21 instances in 39 translations)
- Under His Wings (4 instances in 22 translations)
- Under Law (11 instances in 25 translations)
- Under The Eye Of The Lord (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Under The Hill (4 instances in 5 translations)
- Under the Law (27 instances in 36 translations)
- Affecting Sun Moon And Stars
- Being Without Understanding
- Cities Under Attack
- Controlling Sun Moon And Stars
- Darkening Sun Moon And Stars
- Dividing Plunder
- Do You Understand?
- God Giving Understanding
- God Has Understanding
- God Likened To The Sun
- Houses Under Attack
- Jews Under Threat
- Justification Under The Gospel
- Misunderstood Truth
- Not Understanding God's Things
- Not Understanding Language
- Not Understanding Other Things
- Not Understanding Sayings
- People's Inability To Understand
- Proper Understanding
- Scripture, Understanding
- Spiritual Understanding
- Sun Dials
- Sun Moon And Stars Before God
- The Sun
- Things Under