'Man' in the Bible
There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil.
His substance also was seven thousand sheep, and three thousand camels, and five hundred yoke of oxen, and five hundred she asses, and a very great household; so that this man was the greatest of all the men of the east.
And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil?
And the Satan said in answer to the Lord, Is it for nothing that Job is a god-fearing man?
So the Lord said to Satan, "All right then, everything he has is in your power. Only do not extend your hand against the man himself!" So Satan went out from the presence of the Lord.
And a man came to Job, and said, The oxen were ploughing, and the asses were taking their food by their side:
And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil? and still he holdeth fast his integrity, although thou movedst me against him, to destroy him without cause.
And Satan answered the LORD, and said, Skin for skin, yea, all that a man hath will he give for his life.
When they looked from a distance, they could [barely] recognize him. They wept aloud, and each man tore his robe and threw dust into the air and on his head.
"Let the day on which I was born perish, and the night that said, 'A man has been conceived!'
Why is light given to a man whose way is hid, and whom God hath hedged in?
Have you ever seen destruction come to an upright man? or when were the god-fearing ever cut off?
Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
For wrath killeth the foolish man, and envy slayeth the silly one.
Yet man is born unto trouble, as the sparks fly upward.
So the poor man has hope, and the mouth of the evil-doer is stopped.
Behold, happy is the man whom God correcteth: therefore despise not thou the chastening of the Almighty:
Will a man take food which has no taste without salt? or is there any taste in the soft substance of purslain?
Am I as strong as a rock? Am I some kind of iron man?
A despairing man should receive loyalty from his friends, even if he abandons the fear of the Almighty.
Do you intend to criticize mere words, and treat the words of a despairing man as wind?
Truly, you are such as would give up the child of a dead man to his creditors, and would make a profit out of your friend.
Is there not an appointed time to man upon earth? are not his days also like the days of an hireling?
Like a slave he longs for shade; like a hired man he waits for his pay.
What is man, that thou shouldest magnify him? and that thou shouldest set thine heart upon him?
I have sinned, what do I to Thee, O watcher of man? Why hast Thou set me for a mark to Thee, And I am for a burden to myself -- and what?
So are the paths of all that forget God; And the hope of the godless man shall perish:
Behold, God will not cast away a perfect man, neither will he help the evil doers:
I know it is so of a truth: but how should man be just with God?
If a man was desiring to go to law with him, he would not be able to give him an answer to one out of a thousand questions.
The earth is given over into the hand of the wicked man; he covereth the faces of its judges. If not, who then is it?
For he is not a man, as I am, that I should answer him, and we should come together in judgment.
Hast thou eyes of flesh? or seest thou as man seeth?
Are thy days as the days of man? are thy years as man's days,
Though you see that I am not an evil-doer; and there is no one who is able to take a man out of your hands?
Should not the multitude of words be answered? and should a man full of talk be justified?
Should thy lies make men hold their peace? and when thou mockest, shall no man make thee ashamed?
If [God] sweeps in and arrests and calls into judgment, who can hinder Him? [If He is against a man, who shall call Him to account for it?]
For he knoweth vain men, and seeth wickedness when man doth not consider it;
For vain man would be wise, though man be born like a wild ass's colt.
I am as one mocked of his neighbour, who calleth upon God, and he answereth him: the just upright man is laughed to scorn.
In whose hand is the breath of every living thing, And the spirit of all flesh of man.'
Behold, he breaketh down, and it cannot be built again: he shutteth up a man, and there can be no opening.
They grope in the dark without light, and he maketh them to stagger like a drunken man.
Is it good that he should search you out? or as one man mocketh another, do ye so mock him?
This also shall be my salvation, that a profane man shall not come before his face.
Man wears out like something rotten, like a moth-eaten garment.
Man that is born of a woman is of few days, and full of trouble.
Who can bring a clean man out of the unclean? Not one!
"Turn Your gaze from him that he may rest, Until he fulfills his day like a hired man.
For there is hope for a tree if it is cut down, that it will sprout again and that the tender shoots of it will not cease. [But there is no such hope for man.]
But man dieth, and wasteth away: yea, man giveth up the ghost, and where is he?
So man lieth down, and riseth not: till the heavens be no more, they shall not awake, nor be raised out of their sleep.
If a man die, shall he live again? all the days of my appointed time will I wait, till my change come.
The waters wear the stones: thou washest away the things which grow out of the dust of the earth; and thou destroyest the hope of man.
Should a wise man utter vain knowledge, and fill his belly with the east wind?
Art thou the first man that was born? or wast thou made before the hills?
What is man, that he should be clean? and he which is born of a woman, that he should be righteous?
How much more abominable and filthy is man, which drinketh iniquity like water?
The wicked man travaileth with pain all his days, and the number of years is hidden to the oppressor.
Running against him like a man of war, covered by his thick breastplate; even like a king ready for the fight,
And he dwelleth in desolate cities, and in houses which no man inhabiteth, which are ready to become heaps.
God hath delivered me over to the iniquitous man, and hurled me into the hands of the wicked.
He breaketh me with breach upon breach; he runneth upon me like a mighty man.
O that one might plead for a man with God, as a man pleadeth for his neighbour!
If a man informs on his friends for a price, the eyes of his children will fail.
He has made me an object of scorn to the people; I have become a man people spit at.
Upright men are appalled at this; the innocent man is troubled with the godless.
But the righteous man holds to his way, and the one with clean hands grows stronger.
But as for you all, do ye return, and come now: for I cannot find one wise man among you.
They [of the west] that come after [the wicked man] shall be astonished and appalled at his day, as they [of the east] that went before were seized with horror.
Surely, such are the dwellings of the unrighteous man, and such the place of him that knoweth not God.
Truly, I make an outcry against the violent man, but there is no answer: I give a cry for help, but no one takes up my cause.
Knowest thou not this of old, since man was placed upon earth,
The exultation of the wicked is short, and the joy of the ungodly man but for a moment?
There shall none of his meat be left; therefore shall no man look for his goods.
All darkness is laid up for his treasures: A fire not blown by man'shall devour him; It shall consume that which is left in his tent.
This is the portion of a wicked man from God, and the heritage appointed unto him by God.
As for me, is my complaint to man? and if it were so, why should not my spirit be troubled?
You may say, 'God stores up a man's punishment for his children!' Instead let him repay the man himself so that he may know it!
For what pleasure or interest has a man in his house and family after he is dead, when the number of his months is cut off?
"One man dies in his full vigor, completely secure and prosperous,
And another man dies in bitterness of soul, never having tasted anything good.
Indeed, the evil man is spared from the day of disaster, rescued from the day of wrath.
The clods of the valley shall be sweet unto him, and every man shall draw after him, as there are innumerable before him.
Can a man be profitable unto God, as he that is wise may be profitable unto himself?
But as for the mighty man, he had the earth; and the honourable man dwelt in it.
He makes safe the man who is free from sin, and if your hands are clean, salvation will be yours.
There an upright man could reason with Him, and I would escape from my Judge forever.
They reap each one his fodder in a field [that is not his own], and they glean the vintage of the wicked man.
And the man whose desire is for the wife of another is waiting for the evening, saying, No eye will see me; and he puts a cover on his face. And in the night the thief goes about;
[The evil man] preys upon the barren, childless woman and does no good to the widow.
He draweth also the mighty with his power: he riseth up, and no man is sure of life.
How then can man be justified with God? or how can he be clean that is born of a woman?
How much less man, that is a worm? and the son of man, which is a worm?
Let my hater be like the evil man, and let him who comes against me be as the sinner.
For what hope does the godless man have when he is cut off, when God takes away his life?
I will teach you regarding the hand and handiwork of God; that which is with the Almighty [God's actual treatment of the wicked man] will I not conceal.
This is the portion of a wicked man with God, and the heritage of oppressors, which they shall receive of the Almighty.
Search Results by Versions
Search Results by Book
- Genesis (156)
- Exodus (115)
- Leviticus (141)
- Numbers (102)
- Deuteronomy (124)
- Joshua (36)
- Judges (105)
- Ruth (18)
- 1 Samuel (133)
- 2 Samuel (95)
- 1 Kings (78)
- 2 Kings (95)
- 1 Chronicles (25)
- 2 Chronicles (47)
- Ezra (9)
- Nehemiah (14)
- Esther (15)
- Job (153)
- Psalm (172)
- Proverbs (314)
- Ecclesiastes (91)
- Song of Songs (3)
- Isaiah (120)
- Jeremiah (132)
- Lamentations (11)
- Ezekiel (211)
- Daniel (39)
- Hosea (12)
- Joel (6)
- Amos (7)
- Obadiah (1)
- Jonah (5)
- Micah (15)
- Nahum (3)
- Habakkuk (6)
- Zephaniah (4)
- Haggai (3)
- Zechariah (28)
- Malachi (7)
- Matthew (183)
- Mark (128)
- Luke (219)
- John (182)
- Acts (158)
- Romans (68)
- 1 Corinthians (115)
- 2 Corinthians (26)
- Galatians (22)
- Ephesians (15)
- Philippians (5)
- Colossians (11)
- 1 Thessalonians (6)
- 2 Thessalonians (5)
- 1 Timothy (17)
- 2 Timothy (5)
- Titus (9)
- Philemon (1)
- Hebrews (37)
- James (40)
- 1 Peter (13)
- 2 Peter (8)
- 1 John (27)
- Revelation (37)
- Man's (371 instances in 13 translations)
- Man-child (18 instances in 9 translations)
- Man-childless (1 instance in 5 translations)
- Man-killer (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Man-made (6 instances in 2 translations)
- Man-pleaser (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Man-servant (19 instances in 6 translations)
- Man-servant's (1 instance in 2 translations)
- Man-servants (1 instance in 2 translations)
- Man-slayer (20 instances in 9 translations)
- Man-slayers (6 instances in 5 translations)
- Manage (14 instances in 7 translations)
- Managed (17 instances in 6 translations)
- Management (7 instances in 7 translations)
- Manager (23 instances in 7 translations)
- Managers (5 instances in 7 translations)
- Manages (1 instance in 2 translations)
- Managing (4 instances in 3 translations)
- Manatee (13 instances in 1 translation)
- Mandate (3 instances in 1 translation)
- Mandated (4 instances in 1 translation)
- Mandrake (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Mandrakes (4 instances in 13 translations)
- Manfully (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Mange (3 instances in 1 translation)
- Mangelike (8 instances in 1 translation)
- Mangled (10 instances in 3 translations)
- Mangling (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Manhood (7 instances in 7 translations)
- Maniac (2 instances in 2 translations)
- Manifest (88 instances in 10 translations)
- Manifestation (18 instances in 13 translations)
- Manifestations (6 instances in 3 translations)
- Manifested (65 instances in 10 translations)
- Manifesting (8 instances in 4 translations)
- Manifestly (7 instances in 4 translations)
- Manifests (3 instances in 3 translations)
- Manifold (24 instances in 9 translations)
- Manipulate (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Manipulated (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Mankind (130 instances in 13 translations)
- Mankind's (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Manly (2 instances in 2 translations)
- Manna (18 instances in 14 translations)
- Manned (4 instances in 3 translations)
- Manner (430 instances in 12 translations)
- Manners (7 instances in 6 translations)
- Mansion (2 instances in 2 translations)
- Mansions (1 instance in 3 translations)
- Manslaughter (12 instances in 3 translations)
- Manslave (11 instances in 1 translation)
- Manslave's (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Mantel (3 instances in 1 translation)
- Mantels (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Mantle (34 instances in 12 translations)
- Mantles (3 instances in 7 translations)
- Manual (2 instances in 2 translations)
- Manual-labour (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Manuals (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Manufactured (4 instances in 3 translations)
- Manufacturers (2 instances in 1 translation)
- Manufactures (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Manure (14 instances in 8 translations)
- Manured (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Many-colored (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Many-peaked (2 instances in 3 translations)
- Many-sided (2 instances in 3 translations)
- Blade (28 instances)
- Boy (127 instances)
- Bully (2 instances)
- Equip (8 instances)
- Fellow (214 instances)
- Flesh (472 instances)
- Generation (179 instances)
- Gentleman (1 instance)
- Hero (11 instances)
- Human (514 instances)
- Humanity (58 instances)
- Humankind (136 instances)
- Humans (70 instances)
- Husband (189 instances)
- Lion (100 instances)
- Male (379 instances)
- Man (3988 instances)
- A Mans Character
- A Mans Reputation
- Anger Management
- Anger Of Man, Cause
- Anger Of Man, Righteous
- Anger Of Man, Unrighteous
- Being A Man Of God
- Being Seen By Man
- Breaking Man's Law
- Brotherhood Of Man
- Creation Of All Mankind
- Dealing With Many People
- Depravity Of Man
- Divine Manifestations
- Drawbacks To Man's Power
- Duty Of Man To God
- Fall Of Man
- Fall Of Man, Consequences Of
- Fear Of Man
- God In Relation To Man
- Intrinsic Importance Of Man
- Jesus As Son Of Man
- Keeping Man's Word
- Killing Many People
- Love, Of Fellow Man
- Man A Mere Breath
- Man Appointing
- Man As Grass
- Man Avenging
- Man Defending
- Man Differentiating
- Man Going Down
- Man Keeping Watch
- Man Of God
- Man Of Sin
- Man Providing Water
- Man Trapping
- Man Vindicates
- Man's Action Tomorrow
- Man's Authority Over The Devil
- Man's Conduct Towards God
- Man's Counsel
- Man's Dominion
- Man's Eternal Attributes
- Man's Favourite
- Man's Function
- Man's Needs
- Man's Purposes
- Man's Relation To God
- Man's Relationship With His Creator
- Man's Sinful Nature
- Man's Teaching
- Man's Thoughts
- Man's Ways
- Man's Wisdom
- Man's Words Fulfilled
- Man's Work Finished
- Man, Creation Of
- Man, Insignificance Of
- Man, Trichotomy View Of
- Manifesting (making Something Clear)
- Many Combatants
- Many Creatures
- Many Deceivers And Deceived
- Many Enemies
- Many In Israel
- Many In The Church
- Many Seeking Salvation
- Many Spiritual Beings
- Ministry Of The Son Of Man
- Praise, Manner And Methods Of
- Putting Off The Old Man
- Reconciliation, Between God And Man
- Relation Of Animals To Man
- Reuben Gad And Half Manasseh
- Son Of Man
- The Frailty Of Man
- The Glory Of Man
- The Inner Man
- The New Man In Christ
- The Spirit Of Man
- Things Manifest
- Time Management
- Too Many Words
- Trusting In Man, Warnings Against
- What Manner?
- What Value Is Man?
- Wise Man Or Fool
- Dung and manure