(protected), head of a Benjamite family
1. A man who is mentioned with Moses and Aaron on the occasion of the battle with Amalek at Raphidim,
when with Aaron he stayed up the hands of Moses. ver.
(B.C. 1491.) He is mentioned again in ch.
as being, with Aaron, left in charge of the people by Moses during his ascent of Sinai. The Jewish tradition is that he was the husband of Miriam, and that he was identical with
2. The grandfather of Bezaleel, the chief artificer of the tabernacle.
3. The fourth of the five kings of Midian who were slain with Balaam after the "matter of Peor."
(B.C. 1451.) In a later mention of them,
they are called princes of Midian and dukes.
4. Father of Rephaiah, who was ruler of half of the environs of Jerusalem, and assisted Nehemiah in the repair of the wall.
(B.C. before 446.)
5. The "son of Hur" --Ben-Hur --was commissariat officer for Solomon in Mount Ephraim.