Parts of Speech
Root Word (Etymology)
TWOT Reference: TDNT 6:23
KJV Translation Count — 39x
Outline of Biblical Usage
1. to try whether a thing can be done
a. to attempt, endeavour
2. to try, make trial of, test: for the purpose of ascertaining his quality, or what he thinks, or how he will behave himself
a. in a good sense
b. in a bad sense, to test one maliciously, craftily to put to the proof his feelings or judgments
c. to try or test one's faith, virtue, character, by enticement to sin
1. to solicit to sin, to tempt
a. of the temptations of the devil
d. after the OT usage
1. of God: to inflict evils upon one in order to prove his character and the steadfastness of his faith
2. men are said to tempt God by exhibitions of distrust, as though they wished to try whether he is not justly distrusted
3. by impious or wicked conduct to test God's justice and patience, and to challenge him, as it were to give proof of his perfections.
pi-rad'-zo; from (3984) (πει̑ρα); to test (object), i.e. endeavor, scrutinize, entice, discipline: — assay, examine, go about, prove, tempt (-er), try.
Concordance Results Using KJV
Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be G3985ed of the devil.
And when the G3985er came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of G3985d, command that these stones be made bread.
The Pharisees also with the Sadducees came, and G3985ing desired him that he would shew them a sign from heaven.
The Pharisees also came unto him, G3985ing him, and saying unto him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause?
But Jesus perceived their wickedness, and said, Why G3985 ye me, ye hypocrites?
Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, G3985ing him, and saying,
And he was there in the wilderness forty days, G3985ed of Satan; and was with the wild beasts; and the angels ministered unto him.
And the Pharisees came forth, and began to question with him, seeking of him a sign from heaven, G3985ing him.
And the Pharisees came to him, and asked him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife? G3985ing him.
Shall we give, or shall we not give? But he, knowing their hypocrisy, said unto them, Why G3985 ye me? bring me a penny, that I may see it.