Parts of Speech
Root Word (Etymology)
TWOT Reference: 2131a
KJV Translation Count — 378x
Outline of Biblical Usage
1. wind, breath, mind, spirit
1. of heaven
2. quarter (of wind), side
3. breath of air
4. air, gas
5. vain, empty thing
c. spirit (as that which breathes quickly in animation or agitation)
1. spirit, animation, vivacity, vigour
3. temper, anger
4. impatience, patience
5. spirit, disposition (as troubled, bitter, discontented)
6. disposition (of various kinds), unaccountable or uncontrollable impulse
7. prophetic spirit
d. spirit (of the living, breathing being in man and animals)
1. as gift, preserved by God, God's spirit, departing at death, disembodied being
e. spirit (as seat of emotion)
2. sorrow, trouble
1. as seat or organ of mental acts
2. rarely of the will
3. as seat especially of moral character
g. Spirit of God, the third person of the triune God, the Holy Spirit, coequal, coeternal with the Father and the Son
1. as inspiring ecstatic state of prophecy
2. as impelling prophet to utter instruction or warning
3. imparting warlike energy and executive and administrative power
4. as endowing men with various gifts
5. as energy of life
6. as manifest in the Shekinah glory
7. never referred to as a depersonalised force
ruwach, roo'-akh; from 7306; wind; by resemblance breath, i.e. a sensible (or even violent) exhalation; figuratively, life, anger, unsubstantiality; by extension, a region of the sky; by resemblance spirit, but only of a rational being (including its expression and functions): — air, anger, blast, breath, X cool, courage, mind, X quarter, X side, spirit((-ual)), tempest, X vain, ((whirl-)) wind(-y).
Concordance Results Using KJV
And the earth was without fH7307m, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the H7307 of God moved upon the face of the waters.
And they heard the voice of the LH7307D God walking in the garden in the H7307 of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LH7307D God amongst the trees of the garden.
And the LH7307D said, My H7307 shall not always strive with man, fH7307 that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.
And, behold, I, even I, do bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh, wherein is the H7307 of life, from under heaven; and every thing that is in the earth shall die.
And they went in unto Noah into the ark, two and two of all flesh, wherein is the H7307 of life.
All in whose nostrils was the H7307 of life, of all that was in the dry land, died.
And God remembered Noah, and every living thing, and all the cattle that was with him in the ark: and God made a H7307 to pass over the earth, and the waters asswaged;
Which were a grief of H7307 unto Isaac and to Rebekah.
And it came to pass in the mH7307ning that his H7307 was troubled; and he sent and called fH7307 all the magicians of Egypt, and all the wise men thereof: and Pharaoh told them his dream; but there was none that could interpret them unto Pharaoh.
And Pharaoh said unto his servants, Can we find such a one as this is, a man in whom the H7307 of God is?