Parts of Speech
Root Word (Etymology)
from the base of 5098
TWOT Reference: TDNT 5:636
KJV Translation Count — 99x
Outline of Biblical Usage
1. offspring, children
a. a male child, a son
1. the name transferred to that intimate and reciprocal relationship formed between men by the bonds of love, friendship, trust, just as between parents and children
2. in affectionate address, such as patrons, helpers, teachers and the like employ: my child
3. in the NT, pupils or disciples are called children of their teachers, because the latter by their instruction nourish the minds of their pupils and mould their characters
4. children of God: in the OT of "the people of Israel" as especially dear to God, in the NT, in Paul's writings, all who are led by the Spirit of God and thus closely related to God
5. children of the devil: those who in thought and action are prompted by the devil, and so reflect his character
1. of anything who depends upon it, is possessed by a desire or affection for it, is addicted to it
2. one who is liable to any fate
a. thus children of a city: it citizens and inhabitants
3. the votaries of wisdom, those souls who have, as it were, been nurtured and moulded by wisdom
4. cursed children, exposed to a curse and doomed to God's wrath or penalty
For Synonyms see entry 5868 & 5943
tek'-non; from the base of (5098) (τιμωρία); a child (as produced): — child, daughter, son.
Concordance Results Using KJV
In Rama was there a voice heard, lamentation, and weeping, and great mourning, Rachel weeping for her G5043ren, and would not be comforted, because they are not.
And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up G5043ren unto Abraham.
If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your G5043ren, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?
And, behold, they brought to him a man sick of the palsy, lying on a bed: and Jesus seeing their faith said unto the sick of the palsy; G5043, be of good cheer; thy sins be forgiven thee.
And the brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the G5043: and the G5043ren shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death.
The G5043 of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners. But wisdom is justified of her G5043ren.
But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the G5043ren's bread, and to cast it to dogs.
But forasmuch as he had not to pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, and his wife, and G5043ren, and all that he had, and payment to be made.
And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or G5043ren, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.
But what think ye? A certain man had two G5043s; and he came to the first, and said, G5043, go work to day in my vineyard.