Parts of Speech
TWOT Reference: TDNT 6:781
KJV Translation Count — 149x
The KJV translates Strongs H1 in the following manner: prophet (149)
Outline of Biblical Usage
1. in Greek writings, an interpreter of oracles or of other hidden things
2. one who, moved by the Spirit of God and hence his organ or spokesman, solemnly declares to men what he has received by inspiration, especially concerning future events, and in particular such as relate to the cause and kingdom of God and to human salvation
a. the OT prophets, having foretold the kingdom, deeds and death, of Jesus the Messiah.
b. of John the Baptist, the herald of Jesus the Messiah
c. of the illustrious prophet, the Jews expected before the advent of the Messiah
d. the Messiah
e. of men filled with the Spirit of God, who by God's authority and command in words of weight pleads the cause of God and urges salvation of men
f. of prophets that appeared in the apostolic age among Christians
1. they are associated with the apostles
2. they discerned and did what is best for the Christian cause, foretelling certain future events. (Acts 11:27)
3. in the religious assemblies of the Christians, they were moved by the Holy Spirit to speak, having power to instruct, comfort, encourage, rebuke, convict, and stimulate, their hearers
3. a poet (because poets were believed to sing under divine inspiration)
a. of Epimenides (Titus 1:12)
prof-ay'-tace; from a compound of (4253) (πρό) and (5346) (φημί); a foreteller ("prophet"); by analogy an inspired speaker; by extension a poet: — prophet.
Concordance Results Using KJV
Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the G4396, saying,
And they said unto him, In Bethlehem of Judaea: for thus it is written by the G4396,
And was there until the death of Herod: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the G4396, saying, Out of Egypt have I called my son.
Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremy the G4396, saying,
And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the G4396s, He shall be called a Nazarene.
For this is he that was spoken of by the G4396 Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.
That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the G4396, saying,
Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the G4396s which were before you.
Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the G4396s: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the G4396s.