Parts of Speech
Root Word (Etymology)
probably from the base of 4563
TWOT Reference: TDNT 7:98
KJV Translation Count — 151x
Outline of Biblical Usage
1. flesh (the soft substance of the living body, which covers the bones and is permeated with blood) of both man and beasts
2. the body
a. the body of a man
b. used of natural or physical origin, generation or relationship
1. born of natural generation
c. the sensuous nature of man, "the animal nature"
1. without any suggestion of depravity
2. the animal nature with cravings which incite to sin
3. the physical nature of man as subject to suffering
3. a living creature (because possessed of a body of flesh) whether man or beast
4. the flesh, denotes mere human nature, the earthly nature of man apart from divine influence, and therefore prone to sin and opposed to God
sarx; probably from the base of (4563) (σαρόω); flesh (as stripped of the skin), i.e. (strictly) the meat of an animal (as food), or (by extension) the body (as opposed to the soul [or spirit], or as the symbol of what is external, or as the means of kindred), or (by implication) human nature (with its frailties [physical or moral] and passions), or (special) a human being (as such): — carnal (-ly, + -ly minded), flesh ([-ly]).
Concordance Results Using KJV
And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for G4561 and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one G4561?
Wherefore they are no more twain, but one G4561. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
And except those days should be shortened, there should no G4561 be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.
Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the G4561 is weak.
And they twain shall be one G4561: so then they are no more twain, but one G4561.
And except that the Lord had shortened those days, no G4561 should be saved: but for the elect's sake, whom he hath chosen, he hath shortened the days.
Watch ye and pray, lest ye enter into temptation. The spirit truly is ready, but the G4561 is weak.
And all G4561 shall see the salvation of God.
Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not G4561 and bones, as ye see me have.