'Pits' in the Bible
Now the Valley of Siddim contained many asphalt pits, and as the kings of Sodom and Gomorrah fled, some fell into them, but the rest fled to the mountains.
Come on, let’s kill him and throw him into one of the pits. We can say that a vicious animal ate him. Then we’ll see what becomes of his dreams!”
When the men of Israel saw that they were in a strait, (for the people were distressed,) then the people did hide themselves in caves, and in thickets, and in rocks, and in high places, and in pits.
lo, now, he is hidden in one of the pits, or in one of the places, and it hath been, at the falling among them at the commencement, that the hearer hath heard, and said, There hath been a slaughter among the people who are after Absalom;
Josiah also got rid of the ritual pits used to conjure up spirits, the magicians, personal idols, disgusting images, and all the detestable idols that had appeared in the land of Judah and in Jerusalem. In this way he carried out the terms of the law recorded on the scroll that Hilkiah the priest had discovered in the Lord's temple.
He sent them an assuring word and healed them; he rescued them from the pits where they were trapped.
The proud have digged pits for me, which are not after thy law.
Let burning coals fall upon them: let them be cast into the fire; into deep pits, that they rise not up again.
The wicked become a ransom for the righteous,And the treacherous in the place of the upright [for they fall into their own traps].
He who misleads the upright onto the way of evil, into his pits he will fall. But as for the blameless, they will inherit good.
They will say to you, "Seek oracles at the pits used to conjure up underworld spirits, from the magicians who chirp and mutter incantations. Should people not seek oracles from their gods, by asking the dead about the destiny of the living?"
The Egyptians will panic, and I will confuse their strategy. They will seek guidance from the idols and from the spirits of the dead, from the pits used to conjure up underworld spirits, and from the magicians.
But this is a people who have been robbed and plundered, all of them trapped in pits or hidden away in prisons. They have become prey, with no one to rescue them; they have been made loot, with no one to say, "Send them back!'
Neither said they, Where is the LORD that brought us up out of the land of Egypt, that led us through the wilderness, through a land of deserts and of pits, through a land of drought, and of the shadow of death, through a land that no man passed through, and where no man dwelt?
And their nobles have sent their little ones to the waters: they came to the pits, and found no water; they returned with their vessels empty; they were ashamed and confounded, and covered their heads.
Terror, pits, and traps are in store for the people who live in Moab. I, the Lord, affirm it!
Those who ate delicaciesAre desolate in the streets;Those reared in purpleEmbrace ash pits.
The breath of our nostrils, the anointed of the LORD, was taken in their pits, of whom we said, Under his shadow we shall live among the heathen.
Draw water for a [long, continued] siege!Strengthen your fortresses!Go down to the clay pits, trample the mortar!Prepare the brick kiln [to burn bricks for the rampart]!
For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but cast them into hell and committed them to pits of darkness, reserved for judgment;
Search Results by Versions
Search Results by Book
- Pit (126 instances in 12 translations)
- Pit's (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Pitch (27 instances in 11 translations)
- Pitched (91 instances in 12 translations)
- Pitcher (17 instances in 11 translations)
- Pitchers (13 instances in 11 translations)
- Pitches (2 instances in 2 translations)
- Pitchfork (1 instance in 2 translations)
- Pitchforks (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Pitching (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Pitchlike (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Pitfall (4 instances in 5 translations)
- Pitfalls (3 instances in 3 translations)
- Pitiable (4 instances in 5 translations)
- Pitied (21 instances in 12 translations)
- Pities (3 instances in 3 translations)
- Pitiest (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Pitieth (7 instances in 4 translations)
- Pitiful (6 instances in 7 translations)
- Pitifully (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Pitiless (3 instances in 2 translations)
- Pitilessly (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Pittance (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Pitted (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Pity (178 instances in 13 translations)
- Pitying (6 instances in 3 translations)