'Death' in the Bible
Let darkness and the shadow of death stain it; let a cloud dwell upon it; let the blackness of the day terrify it.
Why did death not take me when I came out of my mother's body, why did I not, when I came out, give up my last breath?
For then would I have lain down and been quiet; I would have slept; then would I have been at rest [in death]
There [in death] the wicked cease from troubling, and there the weary are at rest.
Which long for death, but it cometh not; and dig for it more than for hid treasures;
For provocation slayeth the perverse, And envy putteth to death the simple,
In famine he shall redeem thee from death: and in war from the power of the sword.
So I would still have comfort, and I would have joy in the pains of death, for I have not been false to the words of the Holy One.
So that my soul chooseth strangling, and death rather than my life.
When disaster brings sudden death, He mocks the despair of the innocent.
Before I go whence I shall not return, even to the land of darkness and the shadow of death;
A land of darkness, as darkness itself; and of the shadow of death, without any order, and where the light is as darkness.
If he goes on his way, shutting a man up and putting him to death, who may make him go back from his purpose?
He discovereth deep things out of darkness, and bringeth out to light the shadow of death.
But man comes to his death and is gone: he gives up his spirit, and where is he?
If death takes a man, will he come to life again? All the days of my trouble I would be waiting, till the time came for me to be free.
You prevail forever against him, and he passes on; You change his appearance [in death] and send him away [from the presence of the living].
My face is foul with weeping, and on my eyelids is the shadow of death;
Give me a pledge with Yourself [acknowledge my innocence before my death]; who is there that will give security for me?
Will it go down to the barred gates of death? Will we descend together into the dust?"
It shall devour the strength of his skin: even the firstborn of death shall devour his strength.
He shall be rooted out of his dwelling place in which he trusted, and he shall be brought to the king of terrors [death].
He takes the poison of snakes into his mouth, the tongue of the snake is the cause of his death.
For what is his interest in his home after his death, when the number of his months has been broken off?
From the town come sounds of pain from those who are near death, and the soul of the wounded is crying out for help; but God does not take note of their prayer.
He who is purposing death gets up before day, so that he may put to death the poor and those in need.
For the morning is to them even as the shadow of death: if one know them, they are in the terrors of the shadow of death.
Let it be far from me! I will certainly not say that you are right! I will come to death before I give up my righteousness.
Those that remain of him shall be buried in death: and his widows shall not weep.
He setteth an end to darkness, and searcheth out all perfection: the stones of darkness, and the shadow of death.
Destruction and death say, We have heard the fame thereof with our ears.
For I know that thou wilt bring me to death, and to the house appointed for all living.
If I saw one near to death for need of clothing, and that the poor had nothing covering him;
If I have eaten the fruits thereof without money, and have tormented to death the souls of its owners:
God spares his soul from the Pit, his life from crossing the river [of death].
And draw near to the pit doth his soul, And his life to those causing death.
There is no darkness, nor shadow of death, where the workers of iniquity may hide themselves.
But if they do not obey, they will cross the river [of death] and die without knowledge.
Have the gates of death been opened unto thee? or hast thou seen the doors of the shadow of death?
Search Results by Versions
Search Results by Book
- Genesis (80)
- Exodus (64)
- Leviticus (71)
- Numbers (81)
- Deuteronomy (70)
- Joshua (38)
- Judges (60)
- Ruth (2)
- 1 Samuel (70)
- 2 Samuel (79)
- 1 Kings (67)
- 2 Kings (65)
- 1 Chronicles (34)
- 2 Chronicles (58)
- Ezra (4)
- Nehemiah (3)
- Esther (18)
- Job (40)
- Psalm (76)
- Proverbs (41)
- Ecclesiastes (13)
- Song of Songs (1)
- Isaiah (42)
- Jeremiah (95)
- Lamentations (8)
- Ezekiel (77)
- Daniel (9)
- Hosea (6)
- Joel (1)
- Amos (5)
- Obadiah (1)
- Jonah (5)
- Nahum (3)
- Habakkuk (2)
- Zephaniah (1)
- Zechariah (5)
- Matthew (59)
- Mark (40)
- Luke (58)
- John (43)
- Acts (62)
- Romans (49)
- 1 Corinthians (26)
- 2 Corinthians (16)
- Galatians (7)
- Ephesians (5)
- Philippians (6)
- Colossians (4)
- 1 Thessalonians (6)
- 2 Thessalonians (1)
- 1 Timothy (3)
- 2 Timothy (2)
- Hebrews (26)
- James (7)
- 1 Peter (3)
- 2 Peter (3)
- 1 John (5)
- Revelation (39)
- Deacon (5 instances in 4 translations)
- Deacon's (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Deaconesses (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Deacons (6 instances in 10 translations)
- Dead (781 instances in 14 translations)
- Deaden (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Deadened (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Deadening (3 instances in 2 translations)
- Deadly (49 instances in 13 translations)
- Deadly-wounded (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Deadness (1 instance in 9 translations)
- Deaf (26 instances in 13 translations)
- Deafen (1 instance in 2 translations)
- Deafening (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Deafens (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Deafness (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Deal (223 instances in 13 translations)
- Dealer (5 instances in 7 translations)
- Dealers (16 instances in 10 translations)
- Dealest (4 instances in 4 translations)
- Dealeth (19 instances in 4 translations)
- Dealing (52 instances in 13 translations)
- Dealings (19 instances in 13 translations)
- Deals (44 instances in 12 translations)
- Dealt (136 instances in 13 translations)
- Dear (168 instances in 13 translations)
- Dearer (4 instances in 2 translations)
- Dearest (4 instances in 2 translations)
- Dearly (43 instances in 12 translations)
- Dearly-loved (20 instances in 1 translation)
- Dearth (11 instances in 5 translations)
- Dearths (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Dearworthy (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Deat (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Death's (8 instances in 3 translations)
- Death-bringing (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Death-burdened (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Death-shade (17 instances in 1 translation)
- Death-stroke (2 instances in 1 translation)
- Deathless (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Deathly (4 instances in 4 translations)
- Deaths (17 instances in 12 translations)