'Promise' in the Bible
And the Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify (declare righteous, put in right standing with Himself) the Gentiles in consequence of faith, proclaimed the Gospel [foretelling the glad tidings of a Savior long beforehand] to Abraham in the promise, saying, In you shall all the nations [of the earth] be blessed.
To the end that through [their receiving] Christ Jesus, the blessing [promised] to Abraham might come upon the Gentiles, so that we through faith might [all] receive [the realization of] the promise of the [Holy] Spirit.
I mean that the Covenant which God had already formally made is not abrogated by the Law which was given four hundred and thirty years later--so as to annul the promise.
For if the inheritance comes through obedience to Law, it no longer comes because of a promise. But, as a matter of fact, God has granted it to Abraham in fulfilment of a promise.
Why then was the Law given? It was imposed later on for the sake of defining sin, until the seed should come to whom God had made the promise; and its details were laid down by a mediator with the help of angels.
Now a go-between (intermediary) has to do with and implies more than one party [there can be no mediator with just one person]. Yet God is [only] one Person [and He was the sole party in giving that promise to Abraham. But the Law was a contract between two, God and Israel; its validity was dependent on both].
But the scripture has concluded all under sin that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to the believers.
And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's descendants, heirs according to the promise.
Howbeit the'son by the handmaid is born after the flesh; but the'son by the freewoman is born through promise.
But ye, brethren, after the pattern of Isaac, are children of promise.
Yet [just] as at that time the child [of ordinary birth] born according to the flesh despised and persecuted him [who was born remarkably] according to [the promise and the working of] the [Holy] Spirit, so it is now also.
Search Results by Versions
Search Results by Book
- Genesis (11)
- Leviticus (2)
- Numbers (6)
- Deuteronomy (6)
- Joshua (6)
- Judges (3)
- Ruth (2)
- 1 Samuel (3)
- 2 Samuel (8)
- 1 Kings (14)
- 2 Kings (5)
- 1 Chronicles (6)
- 2 Chronicles (9)
- Ezra (1)
- Nehemiah (4)
- Psalm (35)
- Ecclesiastes (3)
- Isaiah (8)
- Jeremiah (20)
- Lamentations (1)
- Ezekiel (4)
- Jonah (1)
- Micah (2)
- Haggai (1)
- Zechariah (1)
- Aforepromised (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Compromise (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Compromises (2 instances in 2 translations)
- Long-promised (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Promiscuity (22 instances in 5 translations)
- Promiscuous (10 instances in 3 translations)
- Promiscuously (8 instances in 2 translations)
- Promised (262 instances in 13 translations)
- Promisedst (3 instances in 1 translation)
- Promises (77 instances in 13 translations)
- Promising (6 instances in 12 translations)
- Promisingly (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Promissory (3 instances in 2 translations)
- Uncompromising (1 instance in 1 translation)
- Uncompromisingly (89 instances in 1 translation)
- Answered Promises
- Compromise, As A Solution
- Compromise, Forbidden
- Crossing Into The Promised Land
- Earth, Promises About
- God's Promise To Abraham
- God's Promises
- Gospel, Promises Of
- Guidance, God's Promises Of
- Health Promised
- Land Promised To Israel
- Peace, Promised To
- Prayer, God's Promises Concerning
- Promise Of Heaven
- Promise of return
- Promised Joy
- Promised Light
- Promised Victory
- Promises Of The Holy Spirit
- Promises To Children