'Desires of the Flesh' in the Bible
For out of the heart come evil thoughts, the taking of life, broken faith between the married, unclean desires of the flesh, taking of property, false witness, bitter words:
But put on the Lord Jesus Christ and do not make provision for the desires of the flesh.
In my letter I said to you that you were not to keep company with those who go after the desires of the flesh;
But the sense of my letter was that if a brother had the name of being one who went after the desires of the flesh, or had the desire for other people's property, or was in the way of using violent language, or being the worse for drink, or took by force what was not his, you might not keep company with such a one, or take food with him.
Have you not knowledge that evil-doers will have no part in the kingdom of God? Have no false ideas about this: no one who goes after the desires of the flesh, or gives worship to images, or is untrue when married, or is less than a man, or makes a wrong use of men,
Food is for the stomach and the stomach for food, and God will put an end to them together. But the body is not for the desires of the flesh, but for the Lord; and the Lord for the body:
Keep away from the desires of the flesh. Every sin which a man does is outside of the body; but he who goes after the desires of the flesh does evil to his body.
But because of the desires of the flesh, let every man have his wife, and every woman her husband.
Again, let us not give way to the desires of the flesh, as some of them did, of whom twenty-three thousand came to their end in one day.
And that when I come again, my God may put me to shame among you, and I may have grief for those who have done wrong before and have had no regret for their unclean ways, and for the evil desires of the flesh to which they have given way.
But I say, walk and live [habitually] in the [Holy] Spirit [responsive to and controlled and guided by the Spirit]; then you will certainly not gratify the cravings and desires of the flesh (of human nature without God).
For the desires of the flesh are opposed to the [Holy] Spirit, and the [desires of the] Spirit are opposed to the flesh (godless human nature); for these are antagonistic to each other [continually withstanding and in conflict with each other], so that you are not free but are prevented from doing what you desire to do.
Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.
For the purpose of God for you is this: that you may be holy, and may keep yourselves from the desires of the flesh;
But keep yourself from those desires of the flesh which are strong when the body is young, and go after righteousness, faith, love, peace, with those whose prayers go up to the Lord from a clean heart.
My loved ones, I make this request with all my heart, that, as those for whom this world is a strange country, you will keep yourselves from the desires of the flesh which make war against the soul;
Because for long enough, in times past, we have been living after the way of the Gentiles, given up to the desires of the flesh, to drinking and feasting and loose behaviour and unclean worship of images;
And through this he has given us the hope of great rewards highly to be valued; so that by them we might have our part in God's being, and be made free from the destruction which is in the world through the desires of the flesh.
especially those who follow the polluting desires of the flesh and despise authority. Bold, arrogant people! They do not tremble when they blaspheme the glorious ones;
for overswellings of vanity speaking, they do entice in desires of the flesh -- lasciviousnesses, those who had truly escaped from those conducting themselves in error,
But I have some things against you, because you have with you those who keep the teaching of Balaam, by whose suggestion Balak made the children of Israel go out of the right way, taking food which was offered to false gods, and going after the desires of the flesh.
But I have this against you, that you let the woman Jezebel say she is a prophet and give false teaching, making my servants go after the desires of the flesh and take food offered to false gods.
Search Results by Versions
Search Results by Book
- According to the Flesh (26 instances in 31 translations)
- After The Flesh (22 instances in 27 translations)
- All Flesh is Grass (2 instances in 12 translations)
- Born of the Flesh (3 instances in 28 translations)
- Come in the Flesh (3 instances in 25 translations)
- Confidence in the Flesh (2 instances in 24 translations)
- Crucified the Flesh (1 instance in 27 translations)
- End of All Flesh (1 instance in 18 translations)
- Filth of the Flesh (1 instance in 18 translations)
- Flesh and Blood (29 instances in 37 translations)
- Flesh and Bones (4 instances in 38 translations)
- Flesh and Spirit (2 instances in 26 translations)
- Flesh is Weak (2 instances in 26 translations)
- Flesh of My Flesh (1 instance in 20 translations)
- Flesh Profits Nothing (1 instance in 15 translations)
- Heart of Flesh (3 instances in 21 translations)
- Indulgence of the Flesh (1 instance in 10 translations)
- Live According to the Flesh (4 instances in 18 translations)
- Lust of the Flesh (3 instances in 21 translations)
- Manifested in the Flesh (1 instance in 10 translations)
- My Bone and My Flesh (3 instances in 17 translations)
- My Flesh (43 instances in 39 translations)
- My Own Flesh And Blood (5 instances in 4 translations)
- Of the Flesh (101 instances in 37 translations)
- One Flesh (8 instances in 35 translations)
- Satisfying Of The Flesh (1 instance in 8 translations)
- Struggle Is Not Against Flesh (1 instance in 4 translations)
- They That Are After The Flesh (1 instance in 4 translations)
- Thorn in the Flesh (1 instance in 27 translations)
- Twain Shall Be One Flesh (2 instances in 3 translations)
- Two Shall Become One Flesh (5 instances in 10 translations)
- Whoever Desires to Be First (2 instances in 4 translations)
- Whoever Desires to Save (3 instances in 5 translations)
- Will of the Flesh (3 instances in 27 translations)
- Word Became Flesh (1 instance in 20 translations)
- Word Was Made Flesh (1 instance in 8 translations)
- Works of the Flesh (1 instance in 25 translations)
- Crucifying Our Flesh
- Desires For Holiness
- Desires Of The Heart
- Evil Desires
- Flesh As The Sinful Nature
- Flesh, Description Of
- God's Desires
- Human Desires
- Imagination, Inward Desires
- Joining Flesh And Bones
- One Flesh
- Right Desires
- Same Bone And Flesh
- Sins Of The Flesh
- Spiritual Desires
- The Attitude Towards The Flesh
- The Lust Of The Flesh
- Sexual Sin, Nature Of
- Sin, Causes Of
- Avoiding Sin
- Self Denial
- Self Indulgence
- Love, In Relationships
- Sexual Aberrations
- Avoid Immorality