'Of the Flesh' in the Bible
When we were living in the flesh (mere physical lives), the sinful passions that were awakened and aroused up by [what] the Law [makes sin] were constantly operating in our natural powers (in our bodily organs, in the sensitive appetites and wills of the flesh), so that we bore fruit for death.
We know that the Law is spiritual; but I am a creature of the flesh [carnal, unspiritual], having been sold into slavery under [the control of] sin.
But I discern in my bodily members [ in the sensitive appetites and wills of the flesh] a different law (rule of action) at war against the law of my mind (my reason) and making me a prisoner to the law of sin that dwells in my bodily organs [ in the sensitive appetites and wills of the flesh].
Therefore, [there is] now no condemnation (no adjudging guilty of wrong) for those who are in Christ Jesus, who live [and] walk not after the dictates of the flesh, but after the dictates of the Spirit.
For what the law could not do, inasmuch as it was weak because of the flesh - that performed God, and sent his son in the similitude of sinful flesh, and by sin damned sin in the flesh;
So that the righteous and just requirement of the Law might be fully met in us who live and move not in the ways of the flesh but in the ways of the Spirit [our lives governed not by the standards and according to the dictates of the flesh, but controlled by the Holy Spirit].
For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
For the mind of the flesh is death; but the mind of the Spirit is life and peace:
because the mind of the flesh is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can it be:
So then those who are living the life of the flesh [catering to the appetites and impulses of their carnal nature] cannot please or satisfy God, or be acceptable to Him.
But you are not living the life of the flesh, you are living the life of the Spirit, if the [Holy] Spirit of God [really] dwells within you [directs and controls you]. But if anyone does not possess the [Holy] Spirit of Christ, he is none of His [he does not belong to Christ, is not truly a child of God].
So then, brethren, we are debtors, but not to the flesh [we are not obligated to our carnal nature], to live [a life ruled by the standards set up by the dictates] of the flesh.
For if you go in the way of the flesh, death will come on you; but if by the Spirit you put to death the works of the body, you will have life.
That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.
But put on the Lord Jesus Christ and do not make provision for the desires of the flesh.
Yes, it has been their good pleasure; and they are in their debt. For if the Gentiles have had a part in the things of the Spirit which were theirs, it is right for them, in the same way, to give them help in the things of the flesh.
Search Results by Versions
Search Results by Book
- According to the Flesh (26 instances in 31 translations)
- After The Flesh (22 instances in 27 translations)
- All Flesh is Grass (2 instances in 12 translations)
- Born of the Flesh (3 instances in 28 translations)
- Come in the Flesh (3 instances in 25 translations)
- Confidence in the Flesh (2 instances in 24 translations)
- Crucified the Flesh (1 instance in 27 translations)
- Desires of the Flesh (23 instances in 26 translations)
- End of All Flesh (1 instance in 18 translations)
- Filth of the Flesh (1 instance in 18 translations)
- Flesh and Blood (29 instances in 37 translations)
- Flesh and Bones (4 instances in 38 translations)
- Flesh and Spirit (2 instances in 26 translations)
- Flesh is Weak (2 instances in 26 translations)
- Flesh of My Flesh (1 instance in 20 translations)
- Flesh Profits Nothing (1 instance in 15 translations)
- Heart of Flesh (3 instances in 21 translations)
- Indulgence of the Flesh (1 instance in 10 translations)
- Live According to the Flesh (4 instances in 18 translations)
- Lust of the Flesh (3 instances in 21 translations)
- Manifested in the Flesh (1 instance in 10 translations)
- My Bone and My Flesh (3 instances in 17 translations)
- My Flesh (43 instances in 39 translations)
- My Own Flesh And Blood (5 instances in 4 translations)
- One Flesh (8 instances in 35 translations)
- Satisfying Of The Flesh (1 instance in 8 translations)
- Struggle Is Not Against Flesh (1 instance in 4 translations)
- They That Are After The Flesh (1 instance in 4 translations)
- Thorn in the Flesh (1 instance in 27 translations)
- Twain Shall Be One Flesh (2 instances in 3 translations)
- Two Shall Become One Flesh (5 instances in 10 translations)
- Will of the Flesh (3 instances in 27 translations)
- Word Became Flesh (1 instance in 20 translations)
- Word Was Made Flesh (1 instance in 8 translations)
- Works of the Flesh (1 instance in 25 translations)
- Crucifying Our Flesh
- Flesh As The Sinful Nature
- Flesh, Description Of
- Joining Flesh And Bones
- One Flesh
- Same Bone And Flesh
- Sins Of The Flesh
- The Attitude Towards The Flesh
- The Lust Of The Flesh
- Bad Thoughts
- Living Not For The Material
- Sharing In Christ
- Sin Produces Death
- Spiritual life
- Living For The Material
- People's Inability To Serve God
- 9 more topics on Flesh